It’s that time of year again when we get all spooky dressing up in black, orange and other assorted themed colours. Which obviously means a trip to the Halloween Shop n Hop in SecondLife. Something that caught my eye as I was walking around was this green skin and it reminded me of something I learned recently.
I’d always wondered why costume makers portrayed “Witches” with green skin. There never seemed any sense to it; crooked noses, warts and such are plausible developments of old age, but green skin? While on holiday recently I visited the Witchcraft Museum in Salem, where I learned that the reason was simple: colour film. Apparently the green skin was due to the release of the film The Wizard of Oz in 1939. MGM Studios wanted to take advantage of the new technology of colour film in movies, so they made the witches skin green. Just because they could basically.
The outfit is a mix of gifts and purchases with a little tweaking; the arm and leg fade tattoo layers come white and are tintable. These were needed because while the skin is great, purple patches at the wrists and ankles really didn’t work for the look I wanted.
Photo Location (at Shop n Hop): http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hollyhock/9/130/52
- T-Shirt:Witch In A Box // Wicca Outfit – Shop n Hop Booth
- Panties: HALLOWEEN TRICK OR TREAT PANTIES – irrISIStible Booth
- Boots: [JANGKA] SAMANTHA Outfit HALLOWEEN – Jangka S&H
- Hair: Sintiklia – Hair Tsveta GIFT – Sintiklia S&H
- Skin: *TSM* Infra Skin [EvoX] – Cleavage / Chai – TSM Booth
- Doll: Lovely Halloween Creeper Dolly – Curious Kitties Booth
- Arm&Leg Tattoos: !Musa! Limbs Tattoo Both 100% – !Musa! Booth
- Lipstick: Maleficient Lips – TREND Booth
- Nails: (E – Eventyra – Nail HUD – Plaid Poison – Eventyra Booth
- Broomstick:.Seance. Lunar Witch Broom v2 – Seance Booth
- Eyeshadow: Replay Eyeshadow from TREND
- Head: LeLUTKA Avalon Head 3.1
- Body: Maitreya 5.1